Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Disciple

In just a little while, Beth and I will head off to our new Tuesday night activity...Disciple Bible Study. This is the first time that we've ever taken Disciple, and after just a week, I'm really really enjoying it and growing from it. I've come to the belief that Disciple is one of the great parts of Methodism that could be used by anyone from any denomination to grow in their Biblical knowledge and depth of relationship with Jesus Christ. I seriously believe that Church Historians in 100 years could point to Disciple as one of the highlights of this era. I know...I'm talking about big stuff but at the same time I'm realizing that Disciple has a tremendous impact on those willing to take it because of the Word of God has a tremendous impact when we attempt to truly encounter it. The Word of God truly is sharper than any two-edged sword and truly has the power and ability to transform lives.

So, here's the question...If the Word of God contains that much power and might, why do we not encounter it? I wonder if we live in fear of the Scripture, as we know that God can and does encounter us there. Do we avoid Biblical study, know what it might require of us? Do we avoid Biblical study because of control, because we're afraid that we might be asked to change adn relinquish ourselves to God? I dunno, but I know that I am being transformed by the Word, and it's scary and wonderful and exhilirating all at teh same time. Great, crazy, wild stuff.

1 comment:

Keith H. McIlwain said...

I found DISCIPLE to be an excellent pre-seminary course. The curriculum (and our class at Indiana: Trinity UMC) really helped propel us into pastoral ministry. You'll enjoy it, and really grow.

Hope all is well for you both down south.