Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Quick Question/Prayer Request

Question...Anybody have an good teaching ideas about what it looks like to be a Christian? I'm realizing that many of my students pray and read their Bibles, but they don't realize that this makes a difference in the way they live. I want to do some teaching on how Jesus changes things, and I'm thinking about working through Mark...any ideas???

Prayer Request...We have a student who's causing us fits...We're going to confront her tomorrow...Please pray for God's grace in the situation...

4 comments:

Bob Zilhaver said...

I think any of the gospels will work well. Mark moves along well. I think the key is to ask a question while you are reading. Maybe something like "How does this passage call us to do radical discipleship?" or "How does this pasage call us to be willing to face conflict in our discipleship?"

For example the passage of the Wisemen coming to see Jesus in Matthew 2. Ask the first question and you focus on will to travel any distance and bear any cost to be close to Jesus. Ask the second question and you focus on leaving by another way and answering to another authority than a earthly king or earthly power.

Blessings,
Bob Zilhaver

Keith H. McIlwain said...

I've used Mark...another good one is Matthew, in which the Sermon on the Mount gives us all kinds of challenges which are difficult to live out (and rarely ever tried)!

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Also...Philippians is a filled with goodies that show what a Christian looks like.

Matt said...

I preached Philippians this fall...It was great, but at this point I think that we're needing to hang out with Jesus for a while...I've been working through the Sermon on the Mount this afternoon...Thanks for the advice!