Thursday, March 08, 2007

My Visitation

Tonight I did visitation...Youth Ministry visitation. What does visitation look like for a youth pastor? Tonight it looked like a Middle School band concert. Last week it looked like the East High musical. The week before that it was the East-West game. Every week it looks like a high school cafeteria. I do visitation...mine just looks like a concert.

Why? Because when I do visitation I meet new people. I meet students who are consistent in my group and I meet their friends. I meet parents. I see students who come to be youth ministry every once in a while and I remind them that I know their names and they matter to me. I see members and non-members. Visitation matters.

This weekend, I'll probably see many of the students I saw at band concert. Every week after visitation, I see more students. It's good stuff. It's good to be seen in the community and to see others. I like visitation...even Middle School band concerts.


By the way...We got a house! The church purchased a house and offered it to us as a parsonage! This means that we're going to move from our 14 x 34 cinder block apartment to a real house! It's a great old house that's been recently remodeled! We'll be living the upstairs which is probably 3x bigger than our apartment! Washer, dryer, etc etc...It'll be great for life, sanity, ministry...Thank you God!

2 comments:

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Congrats on the parsoange...

...I make it a point to attend as many Thomas Jefferson High School football games as possible, as that's where so many of our folks congregate...both church members and people in the community.

Being visible at these kinds of events can't be overestimated, in my view.

Brenda said...

Glad to hear you are doing so much visitation. When I was doing full time youth ministry I enjoyed doing that sort of visitation also. Unfortunently the Sr. Pastor at the time did not see the importance of it.