Tuesday, April 11, 2006

All in the family

Last night’s UM Discipline and Polity class had all the makings of being possibly the boringest class ever as we attempted to discuss General Administration, talking about the 13 General Agencies. Thankfully, the class took a turn for the better as someone brought up the idea of withholding apportionments. The question focused around the idea of withholding General Church apportionments to attempt to take a stand against some of the things happening at agencies that many local churches cannot support. Our prof recalled a time when he was a young, rebellious pastor and wanted his congregation to withhold monies for the same reason. He remembered how the senior pastor of the church he was serving pulled him aside and said “I love the church. Sometimes I have a lovers quarrel with the church, but I still love the church. If we withhold apportionments, we are no longer part of the family. If we want to see change come, we’ve got to be at the table, part of the family, working out of a position of strength, rather than eliminating our chance to be a part of conversations because we refuse to pay. We need to be part of the family.” As I heard this story, I was unsure of my response. Is it ever appropriate to withhold money? Is it ever OK? The more I’ve thought about it, the more I’ve got to say maybe, but we’ve got to know what we’re getting ourselves into. Withholding apportionments does nothing except anger and alienate people, leaving us voiceless, and I still believe that my voice can be worth more than my money. Thus, I believe that withholding apportionments must be done only as an absolute last resort. It can only be done if we’re saying “We’re no longer part of this family.” If that’s the case, than withholding apportionments is not making a moral or value statement. Instead it’s saying “I’m no longer a part of this,” and it’s effectively removing our voice and influence from the conversation. Pay your apportionments, write your tithe checks, be part of the conversation. Remain part of the family, and work from the inside for change, rather than setting yourself apart and bringing up feelings of anger and resentment that rarely, if ever, produces any type of change.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Matt, are you interested in being in the WPAUMC Bloogers blogroll?