Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Response to Pacifism

Recently a friend contacted me and asked me to expound on my views of Christ and war-hence, why do I believe in Just War? When is war justified? This is my response.

First of all, I do not believe the issue of pacifism to be crucial to one's salvation. Some people don't agree (hence the guy who spoke last year at Messiah and said that you can't be a son or daughter of God unless you are a pacifist), but I can find no Scriptural basis for this argument. I think that salvation comes through an understanding of the atoning work of Christ on the cross and I believe that we are called to live in light of that grace, striving to develop a deeper relationship and understanding of God in light of the cross. I rank a stance on pacifism in the same area as a stance on predestination or dispensationalism or eternal security. It's important to think about, it has important social and life implications, but it doesn't impact salvation or the work of God's prevenient grace in our lives. I'm not sure that's what you're asking, but that's where I'm at with that aspect of things.

I believe in peace. I pray for peace. I long for peace. I believe that Christ has come to bring peace. I believe that Christ preached a gospel of peace, and I believe that non-violence should work. In fact, with a brother and a brother-in-law both in the military, I pray for peace selfishly, as I don't want those two men that I love to see conflict. But, I still believe that just war is ok. I think that the main reason that I do believe that just war is alright is that I don't believe that the Kingdom of God has arrived in its' fullness. I believe that the Kingdom of God is here and not yet. I believe that the world still is under the tyranical hold of Satan, the prince of the power of the air. So, while I believe that peace is what is to be sought after and conflict should be resolved rather than escalated and oppression should never be a part of human existence, I don't believe that this is the reality that we live in.

I think that the next logical question, then, is "Does this mean that I believe that Christ, through the power of the Holy Spirit and the direction of God the Father, is unable to break in and change things?" The answer to that question is an absolute NO! I believe that God has the power to put an end to the reign of Satan, I believe that Christ will return triumphantly, I believe that Christ through the Holy Spirit is about the business of reconciling all things in Heaven and on earth unto Himself, but I believe that for some reason, which I do not understand, God has given control of the world for the time being to the evil one. So, because this is the case, peace cannot fully reign on earth because the devil is not about peace, but about conflict, war, and violence.

So, what's the role of the Christian in this difficult situation? I believe that the Christian is called to work for the furthering of the Kingdom of Heaven on earth. That means that should be about peace, mercy, justice, redemption, discipleship, etc, etc. What happens, though, when those two things collide? What happens, when an evil dictator is destroying an entire group of people and won't be stopped by negotiation? What happens when the freedom of people group (which is something that I believe strongly in as an Arminian) is taken away? What happens when peace and justice conflict? I think that there are times when war is justified if it is brought about to bring down someone who is endangering the lives of many others and will not be stopped by any other means. I believe that war is the last option that should be pursued, but because we live in a world controlled by the Evil One, sometimes it's the only thing that we can do to bring about justice and an end to oppression, both physical and spiritual. So, I believe that WWII was a just war. There's a part of me that believes that the current Iraqi conflict is probably justified to an extent. (I wish that our leaders had more of an exit strategy, but I believe that bringing down the regime of Saddam Hussein was legit). It's hard to tell, though, about wars that are fresher in our memory (current conflict) because some of our decision must be made through the lens of history. So, here's how it boils down for me...I believe that the political side of war is justified if it is the only option left, if it is not approached lightly and with a plan, and if it is approached to put an end to oppression and bring justice to people that do not have the opportunity to speak for themselves. Does war every advance the Gospel of Christ? Not necessarily, but at the same time, I beileve that God is sovereign and able to work in many situations (i.e. the Afghani man who was able to accept Christ and proclaim his faith in Christ openly because Afghanistan is a free country because of the conflict that ensued there).

At this point, it's hard for me to say how I see God/Christ relating to war. Obviously, throughout the Old Testament God declares war. In the NT, atonement came only through violence done towards one who was undeserving. So what do we do with that? Part of who I am as a Methodist is one who loves that which is practical and that which is rooted in reality. This said, I think that our reality on earth is one that lives in the midst of conflict. Some Christians (like my brothers) are called to be a part of that, others (like yourself) are called to remind us that the Kingdom is coming and there is a better way and to keep us accountable to stay away from gratuitous violence. It's a delicate balance in discerning the way that we are called to be involved in the world around us. Micah tells me that if Christians weren't involved in the military, then we'd be leaving it to those who have no conscience and who have no desire for peace, but rather only violence. It's a difficult place...I relate it to being United Methodist...if I left, I'd be leaving my church to those who don't believe in the divinity of Christ, so I stay and try to make sure that I can have an impact on that body.

2 comments:

David said...

Good insights intoa complex issue. I agree with your sentiments. Acknowledging that God is reconciling the world to Himself in His way is the start, realizing war is an unpleasant but necessary thing (rather than being bellicose) is the next step. The only way we could have a world (today's non-redeemed world) without war is if evil went unchallenged, unopposed.

David

By the way, thanks for commenting on www.prayforalicia.blogspot.com , they are good friends of mine. There is something direct you can do to help them - pass the word along for others you know to pray for them, and leave even a brief comments on their blog so they can have a sense of encouragement and support. I know it means a lot to them.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Look into Hauerwas and Willimon's Resident Aliens and Yoder's masterpiece The Politics of Jesus when you have a chance (summer reading, maybe). Good to hear from you; hope things are going well. See you at Grove City, Lord willing.