Saturday, May 27, 2006

"And they left rejoicing because they had been considered worthy to suffer for the sake of the Name." Acts 5:41

Over the last few weeks, our Sunday School class has been working through Acts. It's been a really interesting study, especially when Dan, our teacher and a professor at Asbury College, can relate everything to G.K. Chesterton and Shakespeare. As I read this verse, found in the context of Peter and John suffering for the Gospel, it struck me, although I didn't know why at the time. Shortly after we read this, Beth and I learned that we have to move from the house that we've been living to a small, rundown, seminary apartment that's about the same size as a hallway. We have to give up our beloved cat, McPheeters, sell our washer and dryer, downsize our stuff significantly and shake up the life we've been living. Why? Because we got a new job...no longer will I be the Groundskeeper at Rose Hill, but we're the new Directors of Youth Ministry at Nicholasville UMC. I've really struggled thinking about moving...it's not what I had expected and it's not what I was hoping for. I've become very satisfied and very comfortable where we are, and I really don't want to give up our cat. But the more the situation has unfolded, the more that I'm assured that we're doing the right thing by taking our job at NUMC. The group is poised to grow, not only numerically, but more importantly, as disciples of Jesus. We know of at least three or four kids who are beginning to discern a full-time call to ministry. We see the group growing in leaps and bounds, and as we prepare to give leadership through the power of the Holy Spirit to these young people, we're being attacked. As I've struggled with moving, I'm reminded of the apostles who had to give up more than their cat for the sake of the Gospel, and they rejoiced because they were considered worthy to suffer. We believe that God wants to move in the lives of our youth, and this is the way that Satan attempts to bring us down. For now, we covet your prayers and we rejoice because, in some small way, we've been considered worthy to suffer for the Name. Thanks be to God.

1 comment:

Keith H. McIlwain said...

You're in our prayers; see you in a few weeks in Grove City.