Wednesday, May 10, 2006

I don't believe in Social Justice

I have come to the conclusion that I don't believe in Social Justice in the church. Social Justice is fine for groups like the Kiwanas or the Rotary Club, but I don't think that it should have any place or power in the church. Now that I've got your attention, let me explain.

I believe in Social Gospel. I believe in the power of the Word of God to transform lives and communities. As I go on to Sanctification, I become more steeped in the Gospel of Jesus Christ, more empowered by the Holy Spirit to live it out, more on fire to see that all the world understand the life-changing, transformational power of the Gospel. I believe that the Gospel is a wholistic gospel, ministering to all the needs that human kind experiences. Thus, as I attempt to live out the Gospel I attempt to claim and proclaim the work of God in my life. I attempt to give testimony to the work of the Holy Spirit. I also attempt to model the example given to us by Christ-one of self-giving love that speaks to and ministers to the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of people. In this sense, I attempt to reach out to the downtrodden, minister to the oppressed, speak up for the voiceless, cry out for reconciliation, but I do all of this in the name of Jesus, while I proclaim and give testimony to the work of Jesus Christ on the cross and the way that I have been made new and transformed. I believe that a perfect blend of this is found in the end of Acts 4, as the disciples meet the needs of the needy and reach out to heal those around them, but at the same time we notice that they give testimony to the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Social Gospel is powered by the work of Christ. It is renewed and given life by the work of Christ. It brings about societal change in real and tangible ways, but also gives voice to the message of Christ crucified and resurrected. That's where social justice misses the boat.

Social Justice often fails to mention Christ. During the first year that we were married, Beth worked at a United Methodist's Children's Home and recently she applied for a job with a Presbyterian social work agency. In both cases, these faith-funded organizations told her than if kids want to go to Sunday School, they can or if kids push her about her faith in Christ, she can share it, but she needs to be really careful not to publicize her faith too much. In both cases, these organizations were social agencies connected to a church, receiving funding from a church, reaching out to the least of society. In both cases, Jesus wasn't really invited or allowed. In both cases, Beth realized that the only thing that could truly transform the lives of the kids that she came in contact with was hope and future and the new life found only through life lived with Christ. She could teach all the lifeskills she wanted, she could teach kids how to manage anger and hurt, she could attempt to help kids heal from brokenness and abuse, but the only thing that would cut it, the only thing that would truly transform and renew her kids was the radical love of Jesus.

Social Justice attempts to work for temporary change for the sake of justice. Social Gospel attempts to work for long-term, eternal change in individuals and in society for the sake of God. For God's sake, let's get to work.

1 comment:

Keith H. McIlwain said...

If you differentiate between "social justice" and "social gospel", then I see your point. But without doing that, true "social justice" is possible because Christian perfection is possible, which leads to (among other things) "social justice".