Sunday, July 08, 2007

Mission Trip week...

In just a few hours, we'll be leaving to spend the week at Red Bird Mission in Beverly, KY. I feel like we've been prepping for this trip for a year, and I believe that God is ready to do mighty things in the hearts of my students and those we serve. As we prepared for the trip, I asked students what they wanted out of the trip...the overwhelming response was "We want to be renewed" or "We want revival" or "We want to see God." Powerful stuff...I just have to make sure that I don't get in the way...

Our students don't know what to expect...they've never seen poverty like we'll see it...They can't imagine a place where Wal-Mart isn't right down the street or where the movie theater isn't just a few miles away. They don't realize what this looks like, and that this kind of poverty happens in their own state...I hope that this screws with their heads a little and that they get a glimpse of God's heart for the poor.

I'm excited...My parents are meeting us in Beverly on their way home from Mississippi with their church...I'm really thankful and excited to minister with them...My mom remarked how exciting it is for them because I've been a part of what they've done for so long and now they are a part of our ministry...Neat stuff.

Pray for us...For revival, for safety, for changed lives, for the powerful touch of the Holy Spirit...

To God be the glory...

6 comments:

Randy Roda said...

Matt...I pray that the week is full of blessings. I have been to Redbird twice and both were growing expereinces for me as a pastor.

Charlotte said...

In prayer for you... have a great week!

Greg Cox said...

Prayers are being lifted. I hope you have all that and more.

Jeff Kahl said...

I'll be praying the Lord blesses and challenges your youth! I'm sure they'll come back changed!

Unknown said...

Matt,

I look forward to hearing the transformative stories you bring home. Was it mission week around here?

Chris said...

Matt - I am excited to read about your adventures!