Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A New Start (or something)

Although I haven't blogged for over a year, I've decided to start again...For several reasons, really, but probably only one that is legit...Here's my reasons in list form...

1. I think that what I have to say is probably earth-shattering and everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, will be completely transformed by my words. Or soemthing like that...Maybe that's just my Superman complex coming through in a big-time sort of way.

2. I think that my insight of Pittsburgh sports teams needs to be shared. Especially when it comes to my insights regarding the Pirates, because I spend a LOT of time thinking about baseball. Probably more than I should.

3. I think that the legitimate reason that I'm going to attempt blogging again is to attempt a new discipline. I was commissioned as a Provisional Elder this year at Annual Conference, and I have been appointed to be the Associate Pastor of Youth Ministry at Nicholasville UMC. This is the same job that I've been doing for the past three years, and while I love my job, I realize that I don't get the opportunity to preach, and that's something that it really difficult for me. I recently asked Eric Park how he has taken the energy that he used to put into preaching and focused it at something else since his move to the Superintendency. Eric mentioned the discipline of blogging, and I was intrigued, so I'm going to give it a shot...I don't think that what I have to say is as good as what Eric says, but hopefully it will allow me to continue to develop the discipline of theological thinking that would lead to preaching while I don't have the opportunity to preach. It's worth a shot at least.

4. Finally, I realize that my mom will read this. She'll probably be about it, but I know that she'll appreciate it...

So, here's to nothing...a new start. We'll see how long it lasts.

2 comments:

Jeff Rudy said...

Welcome back...I wondered if you had a blog.

Eric Park said...

Well done, brother.

I can't wait for more!