Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Brokenness...

Yesterday, I received a mysterious letter postmarked from Erie with no return address. This couldn't be a second letter from the same group, I thought. It was...A second letter from "Concerned Laity in W. PA" and it was even worse than the first one. As someone who considers himself 'conservative' and 'evangelical' I apologize for the hurt and confusion that those letters cause. I'm upset that the authors attack those that they don't know, use Scripture as a weapon rather than a transforming hope, and react rather than renew. As I thought about the letters, though, I thought about two interesting things that I want to share...

1. The letters main concern revolved around fear. Fear of closed churches, fear of "unbiblical" pastors, fear of dwindling membership, etc. etc. As the writers chose to write, they wrote out of a fear for what they know, rather than a hope for what they don't. They believe that the UMC is close to death, and the only thing that brings about life is a certain understanding of sexuality. I tend to believe that which brings life is the Gospel of Christ, not a certain understanding of sexuality. I have a hope for the future of the church, and I believe in a God whose mighty acts of redemption have shaped history, and continue to give life to the church. Is orthodoxy important? Yes. Will orthodoxy renew the church? No. What will? Probably orthopraxy, but even more, the Gospel will renew the church for mission and ministry as it renews the world.

2. There is much struggle and hurt around the issues of sexuality, and much the church doesn't understand. I had to laugh as I read the two positions regarding the Sexual Wholeness seminar at Bakerstown...While our concerned laity thought it was ruined by Tracy Merrick's presentation, First Pittsburgh thought it was ruined by our concerned laity! There is much more to sexuality than homosexuality, and the church doesn't really understand ANY of it! How do we minister to the sexually broken? How would the church respond to the woman at the well or Gomer, wife of Hosea? How do we speak healing to the abused? How do we understand sexuality as a good gift of God? What's even more interesting is that our discussion of power, politics and even the Gospel have become centered around our issue of unknowing when it comes to sexuality. When's the main thing going to be the main thing? When can we preach a redeeming, healing, transforming, discerning Gospel that speaks grace and truth to all? That's what we need...Not unsigned letters.

3 comments:

Eric Park said...

Thanks, Matt.

Your post is nothing short of a prophetic word--one that I desperately needed to hear.

I appreciate your wisdom on this troubling issue.

Randy Roda said...

Great post, Matt. As an evangelical, I too am troubled by these anonymous letters. I hate when being evangelical is reduced to only one issue: sexuality. If someone is going to take a principled stand, I'm fine with that. But sign your name to it. Thanks for your great analysis of this troubling event!

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Good stuff, Matt. The "sequel" was much harsher in tone and, in my view, very irresponsible. It was also, as you properly note, filled with fear. A real shame.